Pop. 14,097; Area 282 sq. km. (109 sq. mi.)
The township of Bamble is made up of three small towns, Langesund, Stathelle, and Bamble. The port of Stathelle was separated from the municipality of Bamble in 1851. On January 1, 1964, the municipality of Bamble was merged with the neighboring municipalities of Stathelle and Langesund. The new municipality was named Bamble, with its administrative centre at Langesund. The old emblem of Stathelle has been used as the coat-of-arms for Bamble: a ship's wheel on a blue background. . It is a vacation coast with old shipping towns with many of the original buildings still intact but also has modern petrochemical industry, refineries, and factories. Further west in Bamble lie the villages of Brevikstrand, Kjønnøya, and Valle.
Langesund (1765) is the administrative center for the township. It is a timber shipping port dating from the 1500s. It was also important as a port for shipping ice. There are still a number of well-kept 18th century buildings in the center of town, including the old Town Hall. The local maritime museum is housed in an old warehouse. Recreation areas include the island of Langøya, Steinvika, and Krogshavn. Rafnes, on the western shore of the Frier Fjord, has many petrochemical plants.
Stathelle (1774) lies on the western side of the outlet from Frier Fjord, Brevikstrømmen. A suspension bridge is an important link between eastern and southern Norway. Croftholmen, a former summer residence, is now a school for young merchant seamen. Further west in Bamble lie the villages of Brevikstrand, Kjønnøya, and Valle.
Sights to See:
Bygdebøker for Bamble
Top of Page
Copyright © 2009-2013
This page was last updated Friday April 26, 2013 21:11:28 -0500